The Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) recognises and seeks to meet the diverse needs of its patrons inclusive of people with disabilities. The AGPC promotes ongoing consideration and awareness of the requirements of patrons with disabilities and assist in being responsive to the changing expectations and needs of people with disabilities.
The information below is intended to provide an overview of accessible services available at the 2017 Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix for patrons with a disability.
The Community Relations and Disability Services offices will be located at Gate 1 during the event. These offices aim to assist with any enquiries relating to accessibility, including shuttle bus bookings, wheelchair hire and other event information and brochures.
Office hours of operation are:
- Thursday 23rd March 7.30am – 7pm*
- Friday 24th March 10am – 7pm*
- Saturday 25th March 10am – 7pm*
- Sunday 26th March 10am – 8pm*
*times subject to change
General Admission Platforms
There are three General Admission viewing platforms for use by all patrons with a disability and their carers/companion. Located at:
- Turn 2-3 - access via Gate 2, shuttle bus stop 3 and 4
- Turn 12 - access via Gate 9, shuttle bus stop 8
- Turn 14 - access via Gate 10, shuttle bus stop 10
All platforms will be clearly signed, staffed by event staff and are on a first come, first served basis.
Three reserved seating grandstands - Schumacher, Prost and Jones - are available for patrons with a disability. Please call Ticketmaster on 1800 100 030 for further booking details.
- Schumacher – access via Gate 10, shuttle bus stop 11
- Prost – access via Gate 10, shuttle bus stop 11
- Jones – access via Gate 1, shuttle bus stop 2
Grandstands will be open to all General Admission ticket holders on Thursday 23rd, free of charge (no booking required).
Club 15, formally the Premium Zone, is an accessible area with great views of Turn 15. Club 15 is an additional upgrade on top of General Admission and/or Grandstand tickets.
- Club 15 – access via Gate 10, shuttle bus stop 14
A choice of wheelchair accessible corporate facilities are available. Speak to an AGPC Corporate Sales team member about the Pit Entry Suites, Carousel or the Formula One Paddock Club™. For all queries relating to corporate hospitality, please contact the AGPC Corporate Sales team on (03) 9258 7166.
Companion Card / Carer Card
The Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) is affiliated with the Companion/Carer Card to ensure all patrons of the 2017 Formula 1® Australian Grand Prix have full and equal access to the event. When the holder of a Companion/Carer Card purchases a ticket to the event, a second ticket will be issued for their companion at no cost or at a reduced rate (subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Companion/Carer Card).
For queries relating to circuit access for people with disability and their companions, please contact Australian Grand Prix Corporation on (03) 9258 7100. For all bookings, please contact 1800 100 030.
® Australian Grand Prix.
- Patrons with a disability may catch a train to Southern Cross Station (Spencer Street) or park in the car parks in the City and catch a FREE wheelchair accessible tram (no. 96) from Southern Cross Station (Spencer Street), to the Circuit. Tram routes 5, 6, 8, 16 and 72 can be taken from Flinders Street Station at Swanston Street.
- Patrons will be dropped off at Gates 1, 2 (route 96), 9 & 10 (routes 5, 6, 8, 16 and 72). For further information on these tram services, please visit grandprix.com.au/event/transport-information.
- Patrons with a disability may also wish to catch a SkyBus directly from Melbourne Airport straight to the Grand Prix on any of SkyBus’ accessible buses. For further information please contact AGPC on (03)9258 7100 or SkyBus on 1300 759 287.
- A free internal shuttle service operates on all days of the event. For bookings phone Wheelaway on 1800 133 320 from Monday 20th March 2017.
Note: Travel on trams between the City and the 2017 Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix is free for event ticket holders. Low-floor trams operate on all services on the route 96 light rail Grand Prix express.
Parking is available for People with a Disability located at Gate 10 within the Village Green Accessible Car Park. A permit must be obtainedthrough the Australian Grand Prix Corporation in advance, on (03) 9258 7100.
Public Conveniences for People with a Disability are located at various locations across the Albert Park circuit. These facilities are commonly located close to all facilities catering for People with a Disability along with other amenities across the circuit.
The Australian Grand Prix Corporation is proud to be offer for the first time the Marveloo Accessible Toilet and Change Room.
Marveloo has been designed to meet the needs of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, their carers, and the many other disabled people who are unable to use standard accessible toilets
Marveloo is purpose built and is the first of its kind in Australia, which is attributed to its many special features including;
- a fully accessible toilet
- overhead ceiling hoist (weight limit 130kg)
- height adjustable adult change table (weight limit 120kg)
- modesty curtain
- additional seating
- heating and cooling
- a safe and clean environment
- adequate space
- an automatic door
- access ramp
- an external sun shade
All users are required to provide their own sling for use of the over head ceiling hoist and advised to check that their sling is compatible with the ceiling hoist provided in each Marveloo, prior to use. Marveloo is fitted with a Prism Medical Model C-450 Ceiling Hoist. If compatibility has not been checked or there is some uncertainty, the user should not use the ceiling hoist.
The Marveloos are conveniently located directly behind the Disability Viewing Platform at Turn 14 and in the F1 Fan Zone. Please see below for location, indicated by the blue logo (T12 and K12 on the Circuit Map):
There are several Taxi Ranks around the Circuit, specifically located at Gate 1, Gate 2 Gate 5, Gate 8 (St Kilda Road) and Gate 10 (Fitzroy Street). Patrons should allow for the extra demand during the event period, specifically at Gates 1 and 2 on Friday evening.
Patrons can utilise existing multi-purpose vehicles. Bookings through:
- Silver Top Central Booking Line on (03) 8413 7202
- 13CABS on 13 2227
- 13CABS on (03) 9277 3877 (Wheelchair Accessible Taxi bookings)
- Yellow Cabs on 13 1924
FREE wheelchair accessible vehicles will operate within the circuit. These vehicles are available for patrons with a disability or limited mobility and can transport up to four people, including one wheelchair passenger. Priority will be given to patrons who pre-book the service. For bookings phone Wheelaway on 1800 133 320 from Monday 20 March 2017. There are designated shuttle bus stops that are clearly signed, please see map in the above brochure for locations.
This service will operate from:
- Thursday 23rd March 10.30am – 8.00pm*
- Friday 24th March 10.30am – 7.30pm*
- Saturday 25th March 10.30am – 8.00pm*
- Sunday 26th March 10.30am – 8.00pm*
*Times are subject to change
In addition to the above, the shuttle service will also operate for GP Advantage members:
- Behind the Scenes Day - Thursday 7:30am onwards (from Gate 1 and 10 only)
- Main Straight Walk – Saturday 8:00am and Sunday 8:30am onwards (from Gate 1 and 10 only)
Access to the infield of the circuit for patrons with a disability or limited mobility is via the FREE wheelchair accessible vehicles or through the two tunnels under the track shown on the map in above brochure.
Tunnel access requires patrons to negotiate steep and long ramps on either side of the tunnel. Seek assistance from security personnel on site to ensure safe passage through either tunnel.
Travellers Aid is a friendly and professional service offering support workers to assist people with disabilities and older people with personal care needs. Travellers Aid is centrally located at Flinders Street Station (within the ticketed barrier area, between platforms 9 and 10) and at Southern Cross Station (under the Bourke Street Bridge, opposite Luggage Hall). For details on Travellers Aid Access Service phone:
Flinders Street Station: (03) 9610 2030
- Open 7 Days: 8.00am – 8.00pm
Southern Cross Station: (03) 9670 2072
- Open 7 Days: 6.30am – 9.30pm