What an exciting Formula 1® race at Albert Park! It demonstrated its power to stop traffic in Asia, made America sit up and take notice and woke Europe from its slumber. The 2013 Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix was no exception, with the world’s fastest cars, coolest celebrities and latest technology converging on Melbourne for four days of breathtaking action.
The opening race of the Formula 1® season was complemented by a host of support categories providing plenty of on track action including MSS Security V8 Supercars Challenge, the Porsche Carrera Cup, Mazda6 Celebrity Challenge, TOTAL Oil International Sports Car Challenge, Shannon’s Historic Demonstration and the Ultimate Speed Comparison.
And the off-track action will be as hot as the action on the track with Nitro Circus Live and the Australian Defence Force taking to the skies above Melbourne with Roulettes and F/A-18s displays.
Kimi Raikkonen went on to win the Australian Grand Prix with a brilliant display over all 58 laps, clocking up his 20th win and second at Albert Park. The 33 year old Finn beat Ferraris Fernando Alonso by 12.4 seconds with Sebastian Vettel’s Red Bull Renault a further 9.8 seconds away in third place.
Australia’s Mark Webber was sixth in the second Red Bull after a slipping clutch saw him lose five places off the line, while Dan Ricciardo’s Toro Rosso Ferrari was out after 41 laps with an exhaust system failure.
Facts & Stats!
- The Albert Park circuit in Melbourne is 5.303 km long and the race runs clockwise around the track for 58 laps.
- The drivers have to remove the steering wheel to get inside the car. A latch behind the steering wheel releases it from the column.
- Numbers are assigned to drivers in accordance with each team’s position in the previous season's constructors championship.
- F1® cars can go from 0 to 160 kph and back to 0 in just 4 seconds.
- The top crew members of F1® can change tyres in just about 4 seconds.
- Small planes can take off at slower speeds than F1® cars travel on the track.
To download the full On-track and Entertainment schedule, please click here.
|2013 Formula 1® Entry List|
|Number||Driver Name||Team Name|
|1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault|
|2||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault|
|13||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes|
|14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes|
|17||Jean-Eric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Ferrari|
|18||Daniel Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari|
|20||Giedo van der Garde||Caterham-Renault|