Alonso retains his humour despite power failures

Fernando Alonso confirmed he has lost none of his humour or his optimism on Thursday when he suggested a future new rulebook for Formula One should ensure ‘equal engines for everyone’.

The two-time world champion Spaniard, now 35, made light of his McLaren-Honda team’s frustration with a series of well-publicised power unit problems by claiming he was looking forward to this weekend’s season-opening 2017 Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix.

“We have to wait and see,” he told a news conference, when asked about his prospect’s for Sunday’s race. “We have only done the tests and now we are here for the race…

“Soon, we will know where we are exactly. Yes, we have had some problems, but the team is working always 100 per cent to identify the problems and to improve.

“If not, well, then it will be something for Eric (Boullier, team principal) and for Honda to do…”

Alonso added that he was not haunted in any way by his big accident in last year’s race and had put that out of his mind.

“I am happy to be back and I am looking forward to the race and to going out on the track. It is nice to be there and with all the fans. It always feels good here in Melbourne.”

When he was asked for random suggestions in the creation of a new Formula One for the future, he was quick to support his fellow-drivers’ suggestions including a race in Las Vegas or Miami and more access to the paddock for the public, particularly for women. 

“I agree with everything,” he said. “But I think we should have equal engines for everyone, too.” 

Follow the Action