Skip to:

New honour for man who showed Australians the way

Keen-eyed patrons at Albert Park for the 2013 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix will see a new name as they walk around the circuit precinct.

Well, new and familiar at the same time: the name belongs to Sir Jack Brabham, but for the first time it features on some smart new street-signs on the western side of Albert Park Lake.

In the Fifties, when Jack Brabham (as he then was) competed at Albert Park, the thoroughfare running north-south on the western side was Aughtie Walk.

They did things differently then, of course: when the Australian Grand Prix was staged here in 1953 and at subsequent motor racing events in the park the cars went in an anti-clockwise direction.

Aughtie Walk was the long sweep from the original Start/Finish line, just after what was then called Dunlop Corner. If you were walking round today’s track in the ‘right’ direction it would be just before Turn 3 on our clockwise lay-out.

In the Fifties it took the field down to the first left-hander on the circuit, then called RedeX Corner.

To honour the man who showed Australia the way to World Championship success, Aughtie Walk will be renamed ‘Sir Jack Brabham Way’ for the duration of each Australian Grand Prix meeting.

Smart black signs with an olde-worlde touch have been erected at various points along the road.

The three-time World Champion’s name is also used for the grandstand at the end of the main straight, inside Turn 1 on the drivers’ right.

Proudly Supported by