It’s easy to travel to the Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2020 on Melbourne’s iconic public transport network, with trains, trams and buses providing frequent services. For detailed train, tram and bus information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
If using any other public transport service besides the free shuttle trams, patrons must have a valid Myki card. For more information regarding Myki, please visit ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki.
The below transport information is for the Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019.
The Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) has worked closely with public transport operators to encourage patrons attending the event to use public transport to reduce traffic entering the local area.
Changes will affect the following services during the event:
- Tram Route 96 (St Kilda Light Rail)
- Thursday and Friday: Additional services.
- Saturday and Sunday: Shortened service (bus replacement service to operate from Spencer Street between 5.30am-8.30pm).
- Tram Route 12 (Clarendon Street)
- Thursday and Friday: No change.
- Saturday and Sunday: Express between Collins Street and Spencer Street to City Road, including additional tram services and bus replacements to supplement the current timetabled service.
- Tram Route 16 (Fitzroy Street)
- Thursday and Friday: No change.
- Saturday and Sunday: Shortened service.
Alternatively, buses have been allocated to replace tram Route 96, to minimise any inconvenience.
Trains and a shuttle service will allow access to gates during the event.
Light Rail GP Express
Spencer Street (corner Collins Street) to Gates 1 and 2.
- Thursday and Friday: Trams will run as per usual schedule (not express). 7-8 minute intervals during peak times.
- Saturday and Sunday: 4-5 minute intervals during peak times.
Clarendon Street GP Express
Spencer Street (corner Collins Street) to Gate 3.
- Thursday and Friday: Trams will run as per usual schedule (not express). 8-10 minute intervals during peak times.
- Saturday and Sunday: 5-6 minute intervals.
St Kilda Road GP Shuttle
Swanston Street (outside Federation Square) to Gates 5, 8, 9, and 10.
- Thursday and Friday: 3-minute intervals during peak times.
- Saturday and Sunday: 2-minute intervals during peak times.
- Thursday and Friday: 8.00am-10.00am and 4.45pm-6.15pm.
- Saturday and Sunday: 9.00am-1.30pm and 4.30pm-8.30pm.
- Thursday and Friday: Normal weekday timetable.
- Saturday and Sunday: Normal Saturday timetable.
The above services are free for GP ticket holders between the city and the circuit*.
Please note, normal tram fares apply on other tram routes that operate past the circuit. The Light Rail GP Express will operate express between Southern Cross Station (Spencer Street) and Gates 1 and 2. The Clarendon Street GP Express will not stop between Spencer Street and City Road on Saturday and Sunday (but will stop at all stops from City Road onward). For up-to-date information, download the TramTRACKER® app.
Metropolitan Bus Service
Some bus services will take you to bus stops close to the circuit, whilst other services will take you to the city, where you can catch the tram services to the circuit (free for Grand Prix ticket holders). If using any other public transport service besides the free shuttle trams, patrons must buy a valid ticket for travel.
For more maps and timetables, visit the Public Transport Victoria website.
SkyBus will operate a bus service directly between the airport and the circuit along with surrounding stops in St Kilda. Patrons can simply purchase a SkyBus ticket at skybus.com.au or at any SkyBus ticketing booth to travel to and from the airport in the quickest and cheapest way possible.
Patrons may wish to travel to and from Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit in the convenience and comfort of an Uber, the Rideshare Transport Supplier of the Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019.
Need to race out of the Grand Prix? Simply head to the UberZONE at Gate 1 on Canterbury Road to request your ride. Here, you can kick back, charge your phone and grab a water while an UberCONCIERGE connects you with your ride.
Want to beat the crowds leaving via Gate 1? Head to our brand new UberZONE at Gate 10 and make a fast getaway. Look out for signage around the venue which will point you to your nearest UberZONE.
Not leaving via Gate 1 or 10? No worries, you can hop into an Uber at the access points at Gates 2, 3 and 5.
Please note, rides requested at the Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019 will incur a $5 event pick-up fee. This will go directly to the driver-partner to accommodate heavy congestion and wait times.
There is no public parking at the circuit. The best thing to do is leave the car at home!
Alternatively, park in one of the 70,000 car spaces in the city and catch the free GP Express tram services to the circuit.
Grand Prix patrons (non-residents) will NOT be permitted to park close to Albert Park. Special permits will be required to enter selected residential areas near the circuit. Illegally parked vehicles will be subject to heavy fines and/or towaways. Access will be maintained to local shops and businesses. Businesses will be trading as usual for the four days of the event. Click here for more information on the Local Access Zone and other community-related information.
Taxi ranks are located at Gates 1 and 2 (on Canterbury Road), Gate 8 (on St Kilda Road) and Gate 10 (on Fitzroy Street). For further information, please visit the Victorian Taxi Association website.
Travel to the Grand Prix in style by helicopter. For charter prices and pick-ups from other locations, please call Professional Helicopter Services on (03) 9580 7433.
Professional Helicopter Services Grand Prix Transfers
- Melbourne City Helipad to Grand Prix
- One-way transfer: $215.00 per person
- Return transfer: $310.00 per person
- Moorabbin Airport to Grand Prix
- One-way transfer: $255.00 per person
- Return transfer: $425.00 per person
- Avalon Airport to Albert Park
- One-way transfer deal (up to five passengers): $2,400.00
- Helicopter joyflights around the Grand Prix
- Two laps around the circuit: Thursday $55pp & Friday, Saturday and Sunday $95.00 per person
Private helicopters can land at the Grand Prix at the designated helipad adjacent to Gate 10. Landing fees apply and registration/insurance declaration forms must be provided to Professional Helicopter Services prior to the event.
People with a disability have access to a free internal shuttle bus for the duration of the weekend. For more information, please phone the Australian Grand Prix Corporation on (03) 9258 7100.
The free internal shuttle service operates on all days of the event. Bookings are essential and can be completed from Monday 11 March 2019.
Click here for more information on disability services.