Kimi Raikkonen has denied reports he has agreed to stay with Alfa Romeo next season and says he has not decided whether to continue in Formula One®.
Raikkonen is in the final year of his contract but it was claimed this week an agreement has been reached for the 2007 F1® champion to stay on for another year.
Yet the Finn, who turns 41 a week on Saturday, on Thursday revealed no decision has been made over his future ahead of the Eifel Grand Prix, where he will break the record for most F1® starts when he is on the grid for a 323rd time.
He said in a news conference: "I don't know. Nothing's been decided so far. We'll see. Obviously, we have some talks with the team and it's nothing to do with Fernando [Alonso] coming back or not.
"It's my decision in the end and we'll see what it comes to."
He added: "I never had an option in my contract [to sign for another year] so I can tell you that it's not true. No, I haven't. I haven't signed anything last week, a month ago or yesterday or today, so we'll see."
Raikkonen said he never imagined being in F1® for so long as he prepares to surpass Rubens Barrichello's tally of starts.
Asked if his 21-year-old self could have envisaged achieving such a feat upon his debut in the sport in 2001, he replied casually: "Definitely not. But then I never had really, let's say, longer plans. It's just how it has worked out."