This website uses cookies for analytics and personalised content. View our Privacy Policy for more information on cookies.
Skip to main content
Back

Vettel confirms Racing Point talks

17/07/20

The German is determined to remain on the grid next season.

Sebastian Vettel confirmed he has held talks with Racing Point but the Ferrari driver says his future is still up in the air.

Ferrari announced in May that Vettel will not keep his seat when his contract expires at the end of this season.

Racing Point, who will be rebranded to become Aston Martin for the 2021 Formula 1® season, are the latest team to be linked with the four-time world champion despite Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll being under contract.

Vettel on Thursday stated that he has held discussions with the Silverstone-based squad, but is unsure whether he will be on the grid next season.

"At this stage, I think it's talks. I said last week I have been in talks with Renault for example, it's also talks," the German said ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix.

"At a later stage with anyone I think it would become a bit more concrete. The truth is that there is nothing to announce and nothing more concrete than loose talks."

Vettel added: "Rumours are called rumours for a reason. Anyway, now only a couple of days after Austria, there's not much that has changed. The fact is there is no news.

"If you ask about Racing Point, everyone is talking about Racing Point, the first two races have been impressive, the performance on track.

"When it comes to myself, no news, nothing has changed in a week. I said last time it will probably take some time, most importantly for myself to make the decision, the right decision for myself. Once there is something to say, I think that will be the right time in future to do so.

"Anything at this stage is still open - driving next year, not driving next year and maybe coming back or not driving and doing something different. I'm not pressured to make my decision too quickly.

"I have been around for a long time and you never know, things can always change. Irrespective of that, I have to make the decision myself, and see if there is something suitable in that direction."

Vettel also said he did not feel aggrieved to see his former employers Red Bull rule out re-signing him.

"As far as I can see, they have two drivers there," the 33-year-old said. "So it's not a surprise. All I said was my honest and open opinion.

"Coming back again [to my future], it would depend what options there are, what I want to do, and find the best solution for myself."