This website uses cookies for analytics and personalised content. View our Privacy Policy for more information on cookies.
Skip to main content
Back

Perez awaits Red Bull decision as he considers year out of motorsport

27/11/20

The Mexican says options in 2022 are already materialising.

Sergio Perez accepts his last hope of driving in Formula 1® next season rests on Red Bull's decision about their 2021 line-up - but vowed his best years are ahead of him.

Mexican Perez sits fourth in the driver standings this season, after a second-placed finish last time out in Turkey, but he will lose his Racing Point seat to Sebastian Vettel at the end of the campaign.

The future of Alex Albon at Red Bull is unclear, with speculation that he could be replaced.

Red Bull are still assessing their options, with three races remaining in 2020 and third-placed Max Verstappen having scored 170 points this season to ninth-placed Albon's haul of just 70 so far.

Perez, who has 100 points, said in a news conference on Thursday, ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix: "Right now, we're just waiting on the decision, what they decide to do, so that's out of my hands.

"I'm just approaching these three races as usual, trying to focus on the job, keep delivering and the rest is out of my hands."

Quoted on the official F1® website, Perez said: "There's only one option. I've said it before, but I've been here so many years, I want to keep going.

"I think I'm at the peak of my career, but I also want to keep going with a reason, with a plan, with a good project, so I think if there's not a good project to keep my motivation to give 100 per cent, I'd rather not take it."

The former Sauber, McLaren and Force India driver is only 30 years old and looks set to achieve his highest career finish in the championship.

Perez had been linked with Williams until they confirmed George Russell would retain his seat yet could soon find himself with nowhere to turn.

Should he run out of options for next year, Perez indicated he would not look to race outside Formula 1®, with his focus likely to switch to securing the best possible drive for the 2022 season.

"There are options out there already for 2022 but obviously it's early to commit to them or think about them," Perez told Sky Sports.

"The short-term plan is I want to continue in the sport. I'm 30 years old and I think I have my best years ahead of me.

"If I'm not here next year, I'll be at home taking a year out, seeing if I really miss this life and really miss the racing and take a decision on what I'm going to do next."